1 the person in a rank around whom the others wheel and maneuver [syn: pivot man]
2 axis consisting of a short shaft that supports something that turns [syn: pin]
3 the act of turning on (or as if on) a pivot; "the golfer went to the driving range to practice his pivot" v : turn on a pivot [syn: swivel]
Etymologypivot, probably connected with Italian pivolo, "peg, pin", diminutive of piva, pipa, "pipe".
pivot is that on which something turns
- Finnish: tappi
act of turning on one foot
- To turn on an exact spot.
Pivot may refer to:
- Pivot element — the first element distinct from zero in a matrix in echelon form
- Pivotal quantity in statistics
- An element of the quicksort algorithm
- Pivot Stickfigure Animator, stick-figure animation software
- Morrow Pivot and Morrow Pivot II, laptop computers
- Pivot display - function in displays
- Pivot table - a data summarization tool in spreadsheets
- Syntactic pivot, the argument of the verb around which the sentence "revolves"
- A pivot language is an artificial or natural language used as an intermediary language for translation.
- Pivot turn, a dance move
- Pivot turn (skiing)
- Pivot (card game)
- A player position in the sport of basketball, also known as a post or center.
- In basketball, the pivot foot is the foot that must remain on the floor when a player has possession of the ball and is not dribbling.
- A player position in the sport of roller derby
- A slang term for a quarterback
pivot in Czech: Pivot
pivot in German: Pivot
pivot in French: Pivot
pivot in Italian: Pivot
pivot in Portuguese: Pivot
ankle, arbor, articulation, avert, axis, axle, axle bar, axle shaft, axle spindle, axle-tree, bearing, bench mark, boundary, butt, cardinal point, center, center of action, center of gravity, centroid, centrum, cervix, chief thing, circle, circulate, circumrotate, circumvolute, climax, clinch, closure, come about, connecting link, connecting rod, connection, core, cornerstone, coupling, crank, crisis, critical point, crux, dead center, deflect, depend, distaff, divert, dovetail, elbow, embrace, epicenter, essence, essential, essential matter, fetch about, focal point, fulcrum, fundamental, gimbal, gist, gliding joint, go about, go around, go round, gravamen, great point, gudgeon, gyrate, gyre, hang, heart, heel, high point, hinge, hinged joint, hingle, hip, hub, important thing, interface, issue, join, joining, joint, juncture, kernel, keystone, kingpin, knee, knuckle, landmark, link, main point, main thing, mandrel, marrow, material point, meat, medulla, metacenter, middle, milestone, miter, mortise, nave, navel, neck, nub, nucleus, oarlock, omphalos, pin, pintle, pirouette, pith, pivot about, pivot joint, pole, put about, rabbet, radiant, real issue, rely, rest, resting point, revolve, rotate, round, rowlock, salient point, scarf, screw, seam, sheer, shoulder, sine qua non, spin, spindle, stitch, storm center, substance, substantive point, suture, swing, swing round, swivel, symphysis, the bottom line, the point, thole, tholepin, tie rod, toggle, toggle joint, trunnion, turn, turn a pirouette, turn about, turn around, turn round, turn tail, turning point, twirl, twist, umbilicus, union, veer, veer around, volte-face, wamble, weld, wheel, wheel about, whip, whirl, wind, wrist